In today’s video we are going to deal with booking a hotel room and we are going to see the most common terms used in this field. Are you ready?
Booking an Italian hotel room
Now we are going to show you a short dialogue, between a receptionist and a client, in which a room booking is carried out. Let’s get it started.
Date and room availability
– It’s the LearnAmo Hotel in Bari, how can I help you?
– Hello, I’d like to book a camera matrimoniale (master bedroom) for a week.
– Sure! Could you tell me the dates of the stay?
– Yes, sorry, I forgot to tell you. It’s from the 5th till the 12th of August.
– Ok, don’t worry, I’ll check it out right away! I’ll put you on hold for a moment!
– Take your time!
– Here I am! Are you still there?
– Yes, I’m here!
– Unfortunately we are full from the 5th till the 12th of August, we have left only a camera singola (single room) but if you want a master bedroom, we have a free room from the 13th till the 20th of August. Does it sound good to you?
[Camera matrimoniale: room with a double bed, usually reserved to couples]
[Camera singola: room with a single bed, for only one person. ]
[Camera doppia: (double room) room for 2 people, but with two separate single beds.]
Features and Prices
– Mm… Yes, it might be good as long as it has all the comforts: wi-fi, hairdryer, tv and breakfast included.
– Of course, all our rooms are provided with all the services and comforts you mentioned!
– Great! Can you tell me the cost of the room?
– Well, the total cost for a week comes to 2.150 euros, so it would be 321 euros per night.
– Golly! This LearnAmo Hotel is quite expensive!
– Yes, after all, we are a five star hotel. Our rooms are comfortable, large, with a panoramic view. Moreover, booking a room in our facility, will give you free access to our wellness center with an indoor pool and sauna.
– I get it… but is there also a jacuzzi in the room?
– With an addition of 50€ per night, we can give you our best suite with jacuzzi.
– But is the tassa di soggiorno (local tax) included in the price?
– No, the local tax in Bari comes to 2€ per night!
[Tassa di soggiorno: tax paid to hotel facilities that ranges from 1 to 5 euros. The cost varies from town to town.]
– Thank you for all the information, hold on a second, I’ll talk to my boyfriend and I’ll tell you if it’s fine for us or not.
– The room comes to about 2500 euros with jacuzzi, breakfast and all the rest… is it good to you?
– As you want, sweetie… I only hope that our students buy some merchandise from our e-shop, LearnAmo Collection… otherwise we will go bankrupt!
Do you like the t-shirts that Graziana and Angela are wearing? Remember to buy them on our e-shop: Learnamo Collection
– Don’t worry about it! Our students are not stingy!
Payment and Booking
– Yes, my boyfriend has agreed! We book!
– Excellent choice! … Your boyfriend is a wise guy…
– About the payment, how does it work?
– If you want you can pay by cash upon arrival or, paying in advance by credit card or bank transfer, we can grant a reduction of 5%.
– Alright then, I’ll pay in advance!
– As you wish! Whose name will the reservation be under?
– Angela Pastore!
– Angela Bastone?
– No, no, Angela Pastore (shepherd), not bastone (stick)! I’ll do the spelling!
– Yes, thank you!
– Palermo, Ancona, Savona, Torino, Otranto, Roma, Empoli.
[spelling: enunciation of a word letter by letter.]
In Italy there’s the so called alfabeto telefonico useful to do a clear spelling (you can read it at the minute 5:06 of the video).
– Great, so you have many sheep? Ahahah
Providing personal data and requiring further information
– Just a joke! Provide me your e-mail address so I can send you the payment form!
– Well, my e-mail address is email@example.com [WATCH OUT: this e-mail address is just an example, therefore don’t write to this address]
– Great, Great! You’ll, shortly, receive an e-mail from our Hotel with the link which will lead you to the payment form.
– It’s all clear! I’ve got just one more question: what time is the check-in?
– You can check-in from 10:30 onward. You will find a colleague of mine at the reception who will help you with the check-in procedure and who will escort you to your room. Ah, moreover, if you are coming by car, you’ll have access to our underground parking with 24/7 active video surveillance.
– Great! Thank you very much! I look forward to coming to you!
– We will be waiting for you! See you soon!
– Have a good day!
Have you enjoyed this dialogue? If you want to improve your Italian, watch also the dialogue at the supermarket, the dialogue at the train station, the dialogue at the restaurant, the introductory dialogue and the job interview dialogue.