Italian Vocabulary: in the KITCHEN!

In today’s lesson we are going to talk about terms related to objects and equipment we can commonly find in the kitchen… do you know them all?

Italian vocabulary for the equipment in the kitchen

Let’s get it started with…

household appliances :

  • Frigorifero (fridge) : appliance used to keep food at low temperature to not make it deteriorate.
  • Congelatore (freezer): appliance to freeze food. It is usually on sale with the fridge.
  • Forno (oven): it is used to defrost or cook food at high temperature and can work through electricity or gas. It is often placed below the hob (fornello/piano cottura), which is used to cook everyday meals. The microwave (microonde), instead, is used to warm up food more quickly than oven.
  • Lavastoviglie (dishwasher): automatic appliance, used to wash, rinse and dry up dishware, through water jets mixed with detergent and heated air. If you don’t have a dishwasher, you can use the sink (lavandino) to wash dishes by hand.
  • Tostapane (toaster): electric equipment which has the purpose to toast the slices of bread to make them crispy and fragrant to make toasts.
  • Frullatore (blender): little electric which minces, mixes or emulsify food, with the support of little blades.

For the preparation of food we can use …


  • Pentola (pot): vessel made of steel or metal with handles, that let you cook food directly on fire. It can be a pression cooker (pentola a pressione), which consents a faster cooking thanks to the reachable higher temperature and  it is provided with a lid (coperchio), to prevent heat loss.
  • Padella (pan): it’s a typology of pot, usually used to fry, with a long handle and a large flat bottom.
  • Tagliere (cutting board): it’s a flat piece of wood with a handle used to cut food (like salami, ham, etc.) but, above all like hygienic barrier between food and the work surface.
  • Teglia (baking pan):  usually made of steel tool and nonstick round and rectangular shaped, used to cook food in oven like: pizzas, cakes and various sweets.
  • Stampi (moulds): kitchenware  where you can cook or pour semi-liquid food which take that shape during cooking.
  • Grattugia (grater): it is used to crumble cheese, but also bread thanks to its cutting edges.
  • Matterello (rolling pin): wooden cylinder with handles used to make paste a thin layer.
  • Apriscatole (can opener): little tool that can cut deep welded tin cans.
  • Schiaccianoci (nutcracker): tool that looks like a pincer used to break the nutshell.
  • Spatola (spatula): metal or wooden tool used to mix, knead, spread pasty substances.
  • Cavatappi (corkscrew): metal object with a leverage or a screw used to unscrew corks.
  • Apribottiglie (bottle opener): tool that acts as a leverage to remove metal caps from bottles.
  • Mestolo (ladle): big wooden or metal spoon you can mix and pour food and liquids in plates with.
  • Imbuto (funnel): cone-shaped tool with a hole used to per transfer liquids in vessels.
  • Colino (strainer): utensil with a metal net, used to filter tea, chamomile ecc.
  • Pelapatate (potato peeler): handy or mechanic tool used to remove the skin from potatoes .
  • Bilancia (scale): it is used to measure the weight of food.
  • Vassoio (tray): big plane plate, oval or rectangular shaped, which is used, mainly, to lay meals to serve on the table.
  • Caffettiera (coffee maker): device, usually made of metal, with a filter to prepare and serve the coffee.

For eating and drinking we use…

cutlery and various containers 

  • Piatto (plate): circular shaped plate kitchenware that can be for soup (fondo) or can be floor plate (piano), used to serve and eat meals. The saucer (piattino) is a plate of smaller size.
  • Forchetta (fork): cutlery used to spear food and bring it to mouth.
  • Coltello (knife): cutting tool, formed by an one-sided sharp blade with a handle.
  • Cucchiaio (spoon): cutlery used to pick up and stir liquid stuff. Teaspoon (cucchiaino) is a spoon of smaller size used to low quantities of food.
  • Bicchiere (glass): vessel made of plastic or glass in which you pour drinks. A shot (bicchierino) is a small glass usually used to drink alcohol.
  • Calice (chalice): glass with a large mouth and a slender rod and a circular base.
  • Tazza (mug): large and tall glass with a handle  con un manico, used to mix.
  • Flute (flute): tapered glass similar to a chalice used for wine, sparkling wine and champagne.
  • Teiera (teapot): pot-bellied vessel used to make tea and then serve it.
  • Tazza (cup): ceramic or other material container with a handle which contains drinks. The teacup (tazzina) is a cup of smaller size.
  • Zuccheriera (sugar bowl): vessel where you keep sugar and then serve it.
  • Caraffa (carafe): jar with a large mouth and structure, narrow neck and equipped with a handle.

Well, did you enjoy this lesson? But, above all, was it useful? If you want, have a look at the Italian dialogue with the hotel (there is our special guest Angela!!).

Moreover we remind you to visit our e-shop LearnAmo Collection to buy our amazing merchandise. See you soon in the net lesson!

Let’s see if you’ve mastered the contents of this class. Have a go at completing the exercises!

Leave a Reply